Central Bank Announces the T. Baswell Donaldson Memorial Lecture & Research Prize (2021)
Published: Monday February 22nd, 2021
T. BASWELL DONALDSON MEMORIAL LECTURE
Mr. Timothy Baswell Donaldson was the first Governor of the Central Bank of the Bahamas, having led the organisation through its transition from the Bahamas Monetary Authority. Through the Central Bank, Mr. Donaldson was instrumental in establishing the Bahamas Institute of Bankers (now the Bahamas Institute of Financial Services), and he contributed as a past Chairman of the College (now University) of the Bahamas.
The T. B. Donaldson Research Prize is intended to have a similar effect in identifying and inspiring young scholars. These individuals are destined to stand out in their future contribution to Bahamian scholarship and national development in the areas of economic, finance and business. The Prize is also in the tradition established by Mr. Donaldson, of recognizing the value of higher education and technical skills in supporting progressive development of both regulators and other participants in the domestic economic space.
Students are invited to submit a completed, unpublished research paper, on a policy, applied or theoretical treatment of a topic in business, economics or finance that is of direct relevance to The Bahamas. The submission must be of an academic quality and adhering to academic standards of formatting and presentation. Judging of submissions will be done by an independent panel of academic and professional experts, who will be revealed later in March. The deadline for submissions is April 30 2021.The research prize is $20,000.The prize winner will also present the TB Donaldson Memorial Lecture, on their research, at a virtual public event in June 2021.
- Bahamian student currently matriculating
- Part-time or
- Locally or abroad
- Undergraduate or graduate
Eligible Subject Areas
- A policy focused, applied or theoretical or applied research papers in economics, business or finance. This could include a concentration on:
- Business or Finance
- Monetary Policy
- Fiscal Policy
- Developmental Economics
Paper Submission Requirements.
All submissions should be in portable document format (PDF).Entries should not be submitted in any editable word-processing format.
- APA (American Psychological Association) formatted, unpublished work not currently submitted for consideration for any other open competition; or the recipient of another open prize
- Sole authorship
- All references to the identity of the author removed from the text, the paper should include a cover
- page and abstract of no more than 300 words, with all references to the identity of the author also removed
- A separate cover page submission with identity and contact details (email and telephone) of the author revealed
- No more than 30 pages (not including graphs charts and references and cover pages), double spaced,12 point sized type font
$20,000 cash prize Presentation of the TB Donaldson Memorial Lecture
Deadline: April 30, 2021
 Political or political Science (poli-sci) papers will not be considered.
 Papers that received a recognition or award as part of the recognition or awards process that is internal to the school or university at which the student is enrolled may still qualify for submission.